Power of the Pen has three parts:
1. Interscholastic Writing Competitions
- Power of the Pen provides the opportunity for schools to meet and
compete in three levels of formal, tournament competition: District,
Regional, and State.
- There were 43 events scheduled throughout Ohio for the 2005-2006
academic year. More than 7,500 students took part.
- Throughout each tournament season, Power of the Pen is the direct
stimulus for more than 25,000 pieces of student writing that would
not otherwise have been produced.
2. Teacher Training
- Power of the Pen provides teacher training in new ways of promoting
and evaluating excellence in written instruction.
- POP also provides a forum for interscholastic teacher conferencing
and a statewide networking infrastructure.
3. Instructional Aids/Publications
- Participating schools receive valuable materials for use in their
classrooms, including creative writing prompts and models of excellence
- Power of the Pen also publishes its Book of Winners annually, and
Book of Prompts every five years, where “best-of-the-best”
writings and instructional practices are chronicled.